Monday, June 24, 2013

Let's Get Ready to Enter!

So, with all of the amazing writing contests always happening on the web I wanted to think of a way to help would-be entrants put their best foot forward. Most contests ask for a short pitch followed by the first page. So, I thought every Tuesday I would showcase one sample and open it up to comments from other fellow writers and even book bloggers.

I will monitor comments, making sure all feedback is constructive and thoughtful (although I know that technically won’t be necessary because the writing/reading community is awesome!). All samples will be anonymous; unless you want to share that you are the author in comments. This will allow the writer to experience a bit of what it’s like to have their work critiqued in an open environment. Plus it will give them the opportunity to polish up their entries for an upcoming contest or the query process.

If you are interested in throwing your hat in the ring send me an email using the form on the left side of this page and I will start a list. I will email you one week before your sample will go live on my blog. To get the most feedback possible spread the word on Twitter, your blog, Facebook, and anywhere else.

So what do you guys think? If you’re interested in offering feedback or possibly getting a critique let me know in the comments so I can gauge the interest. I will post samples as long as I receive them. Happy Writing!

4 comments:

  1. Sounds great, Meredith. Let me see how this June week behaves, then maybe I can enter something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! This sounds awesome! I don't mind submitting pieces to review, plus reviewing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I figure it will help all of us out. Getting feedback is always good, but reading other work is even helpful. I see all of the tweets during contests and blog posts from judges about common mistakes or why something didn't make the cut, and I figured doing this might help us get it right :) Here's hoping!

      Delete