Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Have a Great Summer!

So today is the last day of school for my kids, which means one thing. Camp Mom. While I am thrilled to take a break from the crazy morning routine, the idea of all three kids being home for weeks scares the beejeebees out of me.

Writing definitely gets put on the back burner with the kiddos around. They are all still young (4, 6, and 7) so the interruptions are constant. I resigned myself to the idea that for the next two and half months my ideas will mostly stay locked up in the vault.

Then something happened.

A mysterious tweet from Michelle Krys the other day about an upcoming contest. I’m not sure if you participated/observed Xmas in July last year, but it was awesome. So what’s a girl to do? I still have some edits I want to do on my finished MS thanks to some recent feedback. So do I sit this one out, observe from the sidelines, and get out my pom-poms? Or do I make a commitment to find time to polish up my baby and submit it to the soon-to-be-announced opportunity?

And if you think that’s exciting, there’s WRiTE CLUB and the Like a Virgin Pitch Contest coming up. So much for a slow summer! Maybe things slow down in the industry during the warmer months, but that doesn’t mean us writers need to follow suit.

With so many exciting things coming up, how do you plan to fit in some writing time this summer? Are you as excited as I am about the awesome opportunities coming our way? Do you have a MS ready to toss in the ring or will you be cheering on some of your favorites?

Whatever your choice, make it a priority to set a side a little time for you and your craft. Jot down ideas, edit something you’ve completed, or just read that book you’ve been dying to get your hands on (research is VERY important). And as my middle school year book so proudly shouts, Have a Great Summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment